One of the funkiest things about Funky Frum is that we offer our customers a wide variety of styles - from basic black to polka dot prints and vibrant colors. While some of our customers are unsure of color, some find that they’ve just fallen into an all black rut - - and they want more.
Funky Frum fashionistas to the rescue. We’re here to help you incorporate color into your basic wardrobe and advise on what will suit you best!
With the millions of colors in the spectrum, where does one start when trying to find colors that work for them?
1) We say to think about what colors you are naturally drawn to – whether cool blues, warm reds, or neutral browns.
2) What garments/colors garner you the most compliments: is it that green blouse that makes your hair look ravishing?
3) Finally, consider your personal colors - do you have dark or light hair? Olive or pale skin? What are your natural undertones? Are they yellows or blues?
Answering these questions will help determine a general color palette - cool (blue, green, purple) or warm (red, orange, yellow, fuchsia).
Once you’ve determined your general color palette think about the tones of the colors.
1) Jewel tones look excellent on everyone (and are always popular in fall and winter).
2) Pastels look good on most people, with the exception of those with very pale skin.
3) Bright colors look best on tanned and darker skin tones; they can be quite harsh if not worn in small quantities on paler skin.
The next time your husband/boyfriend/roommate is lost looking at drills in Home Depot, wonder over to the paint section and look at all the paint chips. Holding them up to the underside of your arm will help determine if the color is a good, natural match for you. Find some colors that work and have them handy when shopping.
Now that you know what colors to wear, how do you go about incorporating them into your outfit?
1) If color is something that you’re still unsure of, try starting by adding a colorful accessory – a piece of jewelry, scarf, belt, bag, or hat. This is also a great, inexpensive way to bring color to an all black wardrobe. (We especially love our Flower Scarf and hats.)
2) Next, consider tops - easy to wear with a black skirt or under a basic color jacket or sweater. Our ideas? The Classic ¾ Sleeve tops always come in fun colors as well as the basics and they are easy-to-wear/easy-to-wash and very well-priced. Other tops at Funky Frum are Red Label and Sweet Pie. Shimmer is a great option for those that like a neutral palette but want to add some fun.
3) Skirts will demand a little more attention. We offer great color skirts, such as Plumberry, Jazz, and Material Girl; or, another way to add color subtly is via a printed skirt, such as Geranium which is mostly basic with a pop of purple.
Color is something that can be embraced by everyone! It can do wonders to your skin, eyes, and hair, and also be great conversation pieces. Even if it’s only pink lipstick or red shoes, adding a touch of color should be fun and exciting. Start with these simple suggestions and one day you may find yourself purchasing a bright colored trench coat!